Goodson, Lockhart and Allied Families


William Edward , Jr WOODRUFF Col.

Re: William E. Woodruff, Jr.
Posted by: barry Date: February 04, 2002 at 08:03:41
In Reply to: William E. Woodruff, Jr. by Mike  of 1520  

The William E. Woodruff, Jr. I have info on was married to Ruth Reid Blocker.

This William Edward Woodruff, Jr. was born 8 June 1831 in Little Rock, Pulaski Co, Ark. , the son of William Edward Woodruff (William was the founder and editor of the Arkansas Gazette) and wife Jane Eliza Mills. William Jr., married Ruth Blocker in Crawford Ark. 22 Dec 1868. Ruth was born 25 June 1849 in Cumberland, Allegany Co, MD.

William Jr. died 8 July 1907 and is buried in the MT. Holly family plot. Ruth died 10 Jan 1915 and is also buried at MT. Holly.

William and Ruth had 3 children:
Margaret born 13 April 1870,
Elizabeth born 16 June 1872, and
William Edward Woodruff, III born 26 June 1874.
Information about William Woodruff, Jr:
Pulaski Light Artillery, A Brief History

The information on these  pages was edited and graciously  given to the Edward G. Gerdes Arkansas Civil War page by Bryan R. Howerton, who we thank so much.    He can be reached and thanked at this email address!

The Pulaski Light Artillery was organized at Little Rock, Pulaski county, Arkansas, in December 1860.  This was a time when events then transpiring in South Carolina caused the young men in many southern cities to form military companies in preparation for what was looking like the inevitability of armed conflict between the North and the South.  Little Rock was no different from other southern cities in this respect.  The stodgy 13th Regiment Arkansas Militia, the officially-sanctioned militia unit of Little Rock and Pulaski county, had for years been little more than a ceremonial organization, its annual muster a social event and an opportunity for sons of the first families of the city to parade before the ladies in resplendent uniforms.  Additionally, as a part of the State militia organization, it was bound by inconvenient technicalities of law.  Therefore, in Little Rock, as elsewhere, volunteer military companies began springing up and attracting young recruits eager for action.

The company was initially called the Totten Light Artillery, in honor of the popular commander of the United States Arsenal at Little Rock from 1839 to 1860, William Totten.  When Totten’s son, Captain James Totten, then commanding a U.S. Army artillery battery at the arsenal, let it be known that he was casting his lot with the Union, the battery promptly changed its name to the Pulaski Light Artillery.  Little did they know that in a few short months they would be facing Totten’s guns in battle.

The first mention of the Pulaski Light Artillery came in an article published in the Arkansas State Gazette, on Saturday, December 22, 1860, announcing that, “The young men of this city favorably disposed toward a Military organization which may do the ‘State some service,’ have formed under the title of the ‘Pulaski Artillery,’ and have elected Rob’t C. Newton, Captain; Wm. E. Woodruff, Jr., 1st Lieut.; L. B. Brown, 2d Lieut. and Wm. H. Causin, 3d Lieut.”  Robert Crittenden Newton, a Little Rock lawyer, resigned in early 1861 and went into the cavalry service, eventually becoming colonel of the 5th Arkansas Cavalry Regiment, CSA.  William Edward Woodruff, Jr., the son of the owner and publisher of the Arkansas State Gazette, succeeded Newton as captain.  Louis B. Brown continued as a lieutenant under Woodruff, while William H. Causine followed Newton into the cavalry service.

The Pulaski Light Artillery maintained an armory over the Market House in downtown Little Rock, where they drilled every Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoon at 3:30, and continued to recruit.  There were several volunteer companies organizing in Little Rock in early 1861.  Many of the young men from the wealthier families seemed to be attracted to the cavalry service, and the Pulaski Lancers (actually equipped with lances decorated with pennants) attracted its share.  The young mechanics and tradesmen of the city seemed to be particularly drawn to the artillery service, and the roster of the Pulaski Light Artillery shows a high percentage of skilled artisans of various trades among its ranks.  Apparently the businesses who employed these young men began frowning on their frequent absence from their jobs, causing the Arkansas State Gazette to publish this appeal on Saturday, May 11, 1861:  “... [I]t is desirable that merchants, head mechanics, and others having young men in their employ, belonging to military companies, should grant them leave of absence on the days designated for drills.  Business is not so brisk as to require the whole of their time, and it is important that every man in the land who is capable of doing a soldier’s duty, should be instructed properly, and hold himself in readiness to respond to the call of his country.

The first military action for the Pulaski Light Artillery came in late April 1861.  In order to force the surrender of the United States Army post at Fort Smith, Arkansas, the State of Arkansas organized four of Little Rock’s volunteer military companies—Woodruff’s Pulaski Light Artillery, Capt. Thomas James Churchill’s Pulaski Lancers, Capt. Daniel W. Ringo’s Peyton Rifles, and Capt. George W. King’s “Little Rock Grays”—along with a nine-member band under Chief Musician Joseph A. Schaer—into a battalion under Colonel Solon Borland.  Since Arkansas had not yet seceded from the Union, the expedition to Fort Smith was authorized under the State militia law.  The battalion traveled up the Arkansas River by steamer to Fort Smith, made a display of force which achieved the desired objective, and returned to Little Rock, all in ten days, from April 20 to April 30, 1861.

Arkansas seceded the next month and joined the Confederacy.  The Pulaski Light Artillery immediately offered its services to the State, and new recruits rushed to join the battery.  Its effective strength was doubled within a couple of weeks.  Woodruff’s battery was first ordered back to Fort Smith, leaving Little Rock on May 23, 1861, on the steamer Tahlequah.  The men were presented with a flag from the young ladies of Little Rock before their departure, with Miss Juliet Langtree making the presentation, and Lieutenant James W. Finley accepting on behalf of the battery.  Miss Langtree closed her presentation speech with these stirring words:  Take then this flag and let your determination be like that of the Spartan mother’s advice when she presented her son with his shield: ‘Come home with it or come home on it’.  Prophetic words indeed for Lieutenant Finley, who would be dead a month later.

The Pulaski Light Artillery garrisoned the abandoned U.S. Army post at Fort Smith for several weeks, before being ordered to join the Arkansas State forces commanded by Brigadier-General Nicholas  Bartlett Pearce at Camp Walker, near Harmony Springs, in Benton county, Arkansas.  Joining with Brigadier-General Ben McCulloch’s Confederate brigade, the troops marched north into Missouri and linked up with Major-General Sterling Price’s Missouri State Guard (roughly equivalent to the Arkansas State Troops).  Proceeding to just south of Springfield, Missouri, the Pulaski Light Artillery arrived at Wilson’s Creek and took part in its first (and only) pitched battle.

From the official after-action reports for the Battle of Wilson’s Creek (or Oak Hills, as it was known in the South), the Pulaski Light Artillery performed like veterans, coolly and professionally.  In fact, at least one regimental commander remarked that Woodruff’s battery was key to the Southern victory.  Captain Woodruff had had the foresight to have his battery limbered up, with horses standing in trace, at dawn on August 10.  Thus, when the Union batteries opened on the Southern forces, the Pulaski Light Artillery was the first Confederate battery to be able to move into position, unlimber and open fire.  Initially firing counter-battery salvoes to silence the Union guns, Woodruff’s battery was then moved to a position to support an assault by Arkansas and Louisiana infantry on the Federal lines.

In this engagement, the Pulaski Light Artillery suffered two killed and one seriously wounded.  During the counter-battery duel with a Union battery, First Lieutenant Omer Weaver was hit in the chest by solid shot while commanding his section of the battery, and soon died.  Private Hugh Byler was hit above the knee with solid shot, which shot away his leg.  Later, during the infantry support phase, Private Richard Byrd was shot in the leg by a minnie ball.

Following the battle at Wilson’s Creek, the Arkansas State Troops, which had signed three-month State service enlistments, returned to Arkansas and were mustered out of service.  The Pulaski Light Artillery turned their guns and equipment over to a Confederate ordnance officer and mustered out on September 2, 1861.

Immediately upon their return to Little Rock, they began organizing a company for regular Confederate service, and, on December 27, 1861, the Weaver Light Artillery, named in honor of Lieutenant Omer Rose Weaver, was enlisted in Confederate service, with William E. Woodruff, Jr., as captain.  Woodruff commanded this battery until April 17, 1862, when he was promoted to major and given command of a battalion of artillery.  The Weaver Light Artillery would thereafter be known as Marshall’s battery (Capt. John Gilbert Marshall), and on August 6, 1862, would be split into two batteries, the second being known as Blocher’s battery (Capt. William Durbin Blocher).

Most of the original members of the Pulaski Light Artillery remained in the artillery service.  The majority enlisted in the Weaver Light Artillery and served throughout the war in either Marshall’s or Blocher’s sections.  A few went into cavalry or infantry units, and one, Private Allen Rufus Witt, would go on to become colonel of the 10th Arkansas Infantry Regiment.


1998 The above information may be used for non-commercial historical and genealogical purposes only and with the consent of the page owner may be copied for the same purposes so long as this notice remains a part of the copied material. Edward G. Gerdes

Report of Col. William E. Woodruff, Commanding Third Brigade.
December 26, 1862-January 5, 1863.--The Stone's River or Murfreesborough, Tenn., Campaign.
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XX/1 [S# 29]

January 5, 1863.

Lieut. T. W. MORRISON,
Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, First Division.

   SIR: I have the honor to report the operations of the Third Brigade, First Division, of the right wing, in the five days' battle before Murfreesborough.
    This brigade having held the advanced position on Overall's Creek in the afternoon and night of Monday, December 29, was the base of formation for the line of battle on Tuesday morning. At an early hour on the morning of the 30th, I received instructions that we would move forward in line of battle.
    I was directed to join my left with Brigadier-General Sill's brigade, holding the right of the Second Division, under Brigadier-General Sheridan, and that Colonel Carlin, commanding the Second Brigade of the First Division, would connect his line with my right.
    This brigade was accordingly formed in two lines, the Thirty-fifth Illinois Regiment, Lieutenant-Colonel Chandler, on the right; the Twenty-fifth Illinois Regiment, Col. T. D. Williams commanding, on the left, in the first line of battle, and the Eighty-first Indiana Regiment, Lieutenant-Colonel Timberlake, in the second line in reserve, the extreme left on the right of [the Wilkinson?] turnpike; the Eighth Wisconsin Battery, of four guns, Captain Carpenter commanding, being placed in the interval between Brigadier-General Sill's right and my left. My front was curtained with two companies of skirmishers, detailed from the Twenty-fifth and Thirty-fifth Illinois Regiments, under the command and immediate supervision of Major McIlwain, of the Thirty-fifth Illinois Regiment. The commands to my right and left were formed in the same manner.
    We moved forward on the morning of Tuesday, the 30th, at about 10 o'clock, and halted on the edge of a large cotton-field, immediately in front of a wood running parallel with the turnpike, our lines facing Murfreesborough, which was in a southeasterly direction. This was about 11 A.M.
    No enemy being visible in our front, I caused a few shells to be thrown into the woods beyond, but met no response. The topography of the country in this line and in my front was a cotton-field, which we then occupied, at the farther end of which was a belt or strip of timber, ending at a corn-field on my left and front, and immediately in front of Brigadier-General Sill's right. This corn-field extended to a narrow, heavy-timbered wood, bordered by a rail fence. Beyond this timber was a corn-field, receding toward a ravine,. terminated by a bluff wood bank, along the foot of which, in the ravine, was the enemy's line of battle, with its supports and artillery on the elevation.
    We remained in position until about 3 P.M., when my skirmishers were ordered forward to occupy the belt of timber, which they did. Major McIlwain, who was in command, reported to me that the enemy's skirmishers were in the farthest wood to our front and left, and desired me to send him a further support of one company, which was sent him, with orders to press their skirmishers back. The skirmishing soon commenced briskly, and my brigade was ordered to advance, which it did in admirable order, and was halted in the first belt of timber.
    Desiring to know the position of the enemy's line, and the situation of their skirmishers, I proceeded to the line of skirmishers, to assist in directing their movements and urge them on, and, having given them directions in person, returned to my command, to be ready to move forward to their support. The wood was so thick and brushy on my right that it was difficult to see farther than the left of the Second Brigade; but as I discovered it advancing, we moved forward also, to protect its flank. Sheridan's division had halted some 100 yards in rear of my brigade, his line of skirmishers joining my line of battle.
    At this juncture my skirmishers commenced falling back rapidly, and I endeavored to get the officer in command of those of Sheridan's division to advance to their support, as those of my brigade had not only driven the enemy from my front, but General Sill's also; but, as he had no orders to move forward, be refused. The emergency being imminent, Colonel Williams was ordered to detach the left company of his regiment, and deploy it forward as skirmishers, to relieve or strengthen those engaged, as circumstances might require, while the brigade was advanced to support them.
    The command pressed forward in splendid order, and soon became hotly engaged, and drove the enemy back through the wood and cornfield in their own lines. As we were now far in advance of any support upon the left, I deemed it advisable to halt and wait for them to come up, and, therefore, took position in rear of the rail fence, my right nearly at right angles to my line of battle, thereby obtaining an oblique, as well as direct, fire; but the apace to be occupied by this brigade was so great that the Eighty-first Indiana Regiment was ordered up to complete my line, thereby leaving me no reserves.
    The battery was placed in the angle of the fence to protect my right and front. Shortly after taking this position, Brigadier-General Sill joined me on the left. We remained in position, receiving a heavy fire, and occasionally replying with shell, until toward night, when the enemy opened a heavy artillery fire, apparently on the right of Colonel Carlin's brigade. Thus, discovering their battery, and mine being in good range and position to enfilade theirs, Captain Carpenter was ordered to silence their battery, which he did in handsome style in about five minutes.
    An attack of infantry was then made from the same point on Colonel Carlin, and as their lines presented the same advantage, Captain Carpenter again opened fire with such terrific effect that their yells of pain, terror, and anguish, as our shells exploded in their dense ranks, could be distinctly heard where we stood. So well was the battery served that their attack ceased, and darkness closed the conflict.
    We slept on our arms without fires, prepared for the battle which we well knew would open on the morrow. During the night we discovered what appeared to me to be a continued movement of troops, which led me to believe that the enemy were massing troops on our right, which information I had the honor to report to my immediate superior, Brigadier-General Davis.
    As soon as day dawned I examined the line of battle, and, as I had no supports, placed three pieces in battery on my left, and pointed out to Brigadier-General Sill the weakness of the line at this point, and requested him to order up some regiments of his brigade, held in reserve, to strengthen his right and protect my left, feeling certain that the enemy meditated an attack, and that it would be made at that place. He agreed with me, and immediately ordered up two regiments, which remained there but a short time, and then resumed their former positions as reserves. Deeming the knowledge of this fact of paramount importance, I dispatched a staff officer to Brigadier-General Davis to give him the information. Afterward the general informed me that I must hold the position as best I could, for he had no supports to send me.
    Almost simultaneously with the withdrawal of the reserves ordered up by Brigadier-General Sill, the enemy made their attack in five heavy lines, and we were immediately engaged. Captain Carpenter's battery opened with terrific effect with grape and canister, and they were mowed down as grass beneath the sickle, while the infantry poured in a well-directed and very destructive fire. Sheltered by the rail fence, they were partially protected, and fired with the coolness of veterans.
    As soon as the battle became general, the Twenty-fourth Wisconsin, which joined my left, gave way, leaving my battery and left flank exposed to an enfilading fire. I finally succeeded in rallying them as a reserve. At this moment the right of Brigadier-General Sill's brigade commenced to swing to the rear, and Colonel Carlin's was discovered falling steadily back.
    I then received orders to take position to the rear, some 300 yards, in the belt of timber. I informed the staff officer who brought the order that we could maintain our position if supported. He said the order was peremptory, and I hastened to execute it, but not until I was flanked both on the right and left. The brigade moved to the rear in good order, and halted on the new line; but the right and left continuing the march, and being severely pressed, we made a vigorous charge and drove the enemy back in our front, and, strange to say, not only carried our point, but swung the enemy's lines upon right and left with it.
    Had we been supported here, they would have been routed; as it was, we regained our position occupied when the battle opened, but could hold it but a moment, when we were forced to yield to superior numbers, and steadily fell back to the ground from which the charge was first made. From this point we charged a second time, compelling the enemy to yield ground, but our ammunition beginning to fail, and no wagons to be found from which to replenish the stock, the brigade was ordered to hold its position as best it could, and, if pressed too hard, to fall steadily back until the battery could be got into position to protect their movement across the cotton-field. I placed the battery in position, and gave the officer in command (Sergeant German) directions where to fire, pointing out to him the position of the brigade, and what he was required to do.
    The ammunition of the regiments now entirely failing, and a perfect rout appearing to have taken place, the brigade fell back to the ground occupied by them on the morning of Tuesday. At this time the whole wing was in the utmost confusion, and I used every endeavor to rally and organize them, but without avail. There seemed to be no fear, no panic, but a stolid indifference, which was unaccountable. Officers and men passed to the rear; no words or exhortation could prevent them. In three different positions I used every exertion to reform our lines, but it became impossible. Reaching the Murfreesborough pike, a stampede or panic commenced in the wagon-train, but, succeeding in getting a regiment across the road, it was stopped, and, by a vigorous charge of cavalry, saved from the enemy.
    We were then placed in reserve to our division along the Murfrees-borough pike, and there waited in anxious expectation to make or repel attacks until the afternoon of Friday, when we were ordered to move in double-quick to the extreme left, to support the division which was being driven in by the enemy, and, although fatigued and worn out by exposure to the rain, without tents or blankets, for seven days, and want of sleep (two days of which time we had had nothing to eat but parched corn), the command, with yells of joy, rushed forward, and, after fording the river three times, pushed the enemy back with the greatest rapidity, the ground being covered with rebel dead and wounded. We went into position about 2 miles from the ford, and on the extreme left. During the night we threw up an abatis of rails, and laid on our arms, without fires, in a drenching rain.
    The next morning (Saturday, January 3) we expected an attack, but none occurred during the day. That night we changed position to the right again, nothing but picket skirmishing having occurred during the day. When the morning of Saturday passed without an attack, I became satisfied in my own mind that the enemy were evacuating Murfreesborough, and so expressed it.
    I cannot speak in too high terms of the gallant conduct of the officers and men under my command. If indomitable daring, cool courage, and invincible bravery in the midst of the turmoil of such a battle, when all space seemed occupied by some deadly missile, amid carnage and noise, be any proof of heroism, they certainly possess it. Many instances of personal daring and feats of individual prowess were visibly performed, but I must refer you to the reports of subordinate commanders for names and instances.
    To the officers and men of the Twenty-fifth and Thirty-fifth Illinois Regiments and Eighth Wisconsin Battery I owe especial thanks for the determined bravery and chivalric heroism they evinced throughout; and also to the officers and men of the Eighty-first Indiana, a new regiment, the first time under fire, who, with but a few exceptions, manfully fronted the storm of battle, and gave earnest proof of what may hereafter be expected of them.
    I desire to call the attention of the commanding officer to the gallant conduct of Lieutenant-Colonel Chandler, commanding the Thirty-fifth Illinois, whose cool, steady courage, admirable deportment, and skillful management evinced the soldier, true and tried, and who at all times proved himself worthy of the trust he holds. Major McIlwain, of the same regiment, I cannot praise too much; his good management and skillful handling of the skirmishers, of which he was in charge, elicited encomiums of well-merited compliment--at all times cool, determined, and persevering. Lieutenant-Colonel Timberlake and Major Woodbury, of the Eighty-first Indiana, displayed manly courage, and held their regiment firm and steady under heavy fire; for officers young in the service their efforts are worthy of imitation. Capt. W. Taggart, who succeeded to the command of the Twenty-fifth Illinois Regiment, behaved as a soldier should, everywhere efficient, and ever ready to execute orders. First Sergeant German, of the Eighth Wisconsin Battery, merits much praise for the cool, skillful, and determined manner in which he served his battery after he succeeded to the command.
    To my staff, Capt. George Austin, acting assistant adjutant-general; Capt. A. C. Keys, Lieut. C. P. Ford, Lieut. John F. Isom, Lieut. William R. McChesney, and Lieut. H. S. Park, I owe especial thanks for the manner they served upon the field, carrying my orders, wherever required, through a storm of shot, shells, and bullets, regardless of all save the performance of their duty.
    During the conflict it became necessary, in the absence of staff officers on duty, to make use of orderlies to supply their places. In connection herewith I take great pleasure in testifying to the brave conduct of Orderlies A. T. Greeman and Abijah Lee, on my escort.
    Amid the glorious results of a battle won, it gives me pain to record the names of the gallant men who offered up their lives on the altar of their country; but we must drop the tear of sorrow over their resting-place, and offer our heartfelt sympathies to their relatives and friends, trusting that God will care for them and soothe their afflictions. And while we remember the noble dead, let us pay a tribute of respect to the gallant Col. T. D. Williams, Twenty-fifth Illinois Regiment, who died in the performance of his duty. He fell with his regimental colors in his hands, exclaiming, "We will plant it here, boys, and rally the old Twenty-fifth around it, and here we will die." Such conduct is above all praise, and words can paint no eulogium worthy of the subject. And here let me call the attention to the conduct of Captain Carpenter, of the Eighth Wisconsin Battery, who fell gallantly serving his guns until the enemy were within a few yards of their muzzles. He died as a soldier would wish to die, with his face to the foe, in the smoke and din of battle.
    The casualties of the command are small in comparison to the fire they received and the service done.
    The Thirty-fifth Illinois lost 2 commissioned officers wounded, 8 privates killed, 49 wounded, and 32 missing; the Twenty-fifth Illinois, 1 commissioned officer killed and 3 wounded, 14 privates killed, 69 wounded, and 35 missing; the Eighty-first Indiana, 2 commissioned officers killed, 2 wounded, and 1 missing, 3 privates killed, 40 wounded, and 39 missing; the Eighth Wisconsin Battery, 1 commissioned officer killed, 4 privates wounded, and 19 missing. Total, 4 commissioned officers killed, 7 wounded, and 1 missing; 25 privates killed, 162 wounded, and 125 missing. Aggregate killed, wounded, and missing, 324.
   I hope a portion of those missing may yet return, as all cannot have been made prisoners.

I have the honor to submit the above report to your consideration, and remain, dear sir, yours, most respectfully,
Colonel, Commanding Third Brigade.

John WOODRUFF Captain

Christening: 30 May 1703 Milford (New Haven) CT

Children with Hannah:
 John WOODRUFF b: 28 Sep 1729 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Samuel Andrew WOODRUFF b: 1731 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Abigail WOODRUFF b: 12 Feb 1739 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Matthew WOODRUFF b: 18 Dec 1743 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Isaac WOODRUFF b: 20 Apr 1746 in Milford (New Haven) CT

Children with Sarah:
Jonah WOODRUFF b: 1 Dec 1755 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Jerusha WOODRUFF b: 1757 in Milford (New Haven) CT


Jonah WOODRUFF b: 1 Dec 1755 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Jerusha WOODRUFF b: 1757 in Milford (New Haven) CT

John WOODRUFF Captain

Mary WOODRUFF b: 3 Mar 1700 in Milford (New Haven) CT
John WOODRUFF b: 26 May 1703 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Joseph WOODRUFF b: 18 Feb 1705 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Susannah WOODRUFF b: 3 May 1707 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Anna WOODRUFF b: 25 Feb 1709 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Ann WOODRUFF b: 2 Mar 1711 in Milford (New Haven) CT


Mary WOODRUFF b: 3 Mar 1700 in Milford (New Haven) CT
John WOODRUFF b: 26 May 1703 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Joseph WOODRUFF b: 18 Feb 1705 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Susannah WOODRUFF b: 3 May 1707 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Anna WOODRUFF b: 25 Feb 1709 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Ann WOODRUFF b: 2 Mar 1711 in Milford (New Haven) CT


Marriage 1 Mary PLUMBE b: 9 Feb 1646 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Married: 16 Jun 1668 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Change Date: 22 Dec 2001
Matthew WOODRUFF b: 8 Feb 1669 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Mary WOODRUFF b: 27 Dec 1670 in Milford (New Haven) CT
John WOODRUFF b: 1 Feb 1673 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Sarah WOODRUFF b: 1674 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Samuel WOODRUFF b: 1677 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Elizabeth WOODRUFF b: 1679 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Hannah WOODRUFF b: 1681 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Nathaniel WOODRUFF b: 16 May 1687 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Joseph WOODRUFF b: 18 May 1689 in Milford (New Haven) CT

Marriage 2 Sarah NORTH
Married: 1686
Woodruff in CT
  Author: Charle J. Smith  Date: 19 Dec 1999 6:25 AM GMT  
  In Reply to: Mathew Woodruff  by:  MARK WOODRUFF
Post Reply | Mark Unread | Report Abuse   Print Message  
I believe that was 1637 and not 1537. Mathew Woodruff is my ancestor through two of his sons, John Joseph. He was the son of Sir David Woodroffe of ENGLAND - not Scotland. The name goes back to Woodrove at least into the 13th century in England. I have much of the family data through the first four generations in America - CT in specific, and copies of the WOODRUFF section of the Farmington, CT Vital Records.
If you (or anyone else) think I can help, just drop me an E-mail and ask.


Father: Robert PLUMBE
Mother: Mary BALDWIN

Marriage 1 Matthew WOODRUFF b: 1646 in Farmington (Hartford) CT
Married: 16 Jun 1668 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Change Date: 22 Dec 2001
Matthew WOODRUFF b: 8 Feb 1669 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Mary WOODRUFF b: 27 Dec 1670 in Milford (New Haven) CT
John WOODRUFF b: 1 Feb 1673 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Sarah WOODRUFF b: 1674 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Samuel WOODRUFF b: 1677 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Elizabeth WOODRUFF b: 1679 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Hannah WOODRUFF b: 1681 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Nathaniel WOODRUFF b: 16 May 1687 in Milford (New Haven) CT
Joseph WOODRUFF b: 18 May 1689 in Milford (New Haven) CT



Occupation: Constable 1672
Will: 6 Sep 1682 Note: Will probated 13 Dec 1682. Copy of will in Pearl's records.
Note: MATTHEW WOODRUFF (1) and wife Hannah, came from Hartford to Farmington in 1640-1. He was one of the eighteen proprietors of the Town of Farmington in 1672, having been admitted as a freeman in 1657. (History of Southington, Conn., Page CCIVII). He died at very old age in 1682. He was a man of considerable wealth for those days. He joined the church March 1st, 1672. His will probated Dec. 13th, 1682, mentions his wife, Hannah, who was admitted to the church in Farmington, April 2, 1654, also his will mentions three sons and a daughter named Hannah, wife of Richard Seymour, 2nd, but the Probate Court supplies name of another daughter Elizabeth, wife of John Broughton of Northampton, Mass.

WOODRUFF GENEALOGY MATTHEW WOODRUFF OF FARMINGTON, CONN. 1640-1 and Ten Generations of his Descendants, together with Genealogies of Families connected through Marriage.

NOTE-Regarding Woodruff's of Wooley, England. Regarding tile genealogy of the Woodruff Family, published in Volume III of the Colonial Families of the United States, will say that the circumstances surrounding tile record of Matthew Woodruff in said book are as follows: Sometime in 1910 a party called on me stating that his name was Norris Woodruff, that he was from England and naturally I, well acquainted with the Woodruff Families there, that he was a descendant of the Woodruffs of Woolev, England and for a consideration. would give out details that would establish a direct connection between the Woodruffs of England and the Woodruffs of the United States. Naturally I was interested and agreed to pay his price for said information, which was as follows:
The Genealogy of Woodruffs of Wooley, England. Coming down to the time of Sir David Woodruff of Poyle, who married in 1611 Lettice Duncombe. Issue:   Matthew, born 1612 and died 1682, Thomas, David, George, Robert, Nicholas, Six daughters.
He claimed he had investigated and found that Matthew Woodruff, the emigrant, was born in London in 1612, that he came from England with his wife, Hannah, and settled in Hartford, Conn., and died in Farmington, Conn., in 1682. I advised him to take up the matter with Mr. George N. Mackenzie who was to publish Volume III of the Colonial Families of the United States. Later Mr. Mackenzie wrote asking if I would furnish him the genealogy of my branch of the Woodruff Family in America from the time of Matthew Woodruff, the emigrant. If so, he believed a direct connection could be established between the Woodruff Family of Wooley. England and the Woodruff Family of America. I agreed to this and furnished Mr. Mackenzie with the American Genealogy (My branch of the Woodruff Family) from Matthew Woodruff, the emigrant, and the same was published as it appears in Volume III of the Colonial Families of the United States. After this was published, it occurred to me to take up the matter and substantiate data certain furnished by Norris Woodruff Therefore,entered into with several genealogist in London;after considerable research by them and considerable financial cost to me they reported as far as they could learn, Sir David Woodruff of Poyle, England, had no son by the name of Matthew They did, however, report five sons a-, described above. Therefore, it is my sincere belief that this party who styled himself as Norris Woodruff and sold the information to Mr. Mackenzie and myself was an imposter, for as far as I can learn. Sir David Woodruff of Poyle England, had no son by the name of Matthew and if Matthew Woodruff, the emigrant, was connected with the Woodruffs of Wooley, England, it was through some other branch of the family.

NOTE-Regarding Noah Woodruff. Timlow's History of Southington assigns Noah Woodruff as, having only two children as follows:
Hannah b. Oct. 4, 1753; d. Sept. 16, 17.57. Solomon b. Dec. 11, 1763. and states that at his death the male line became extinct. This is clearly an. error as published in Timlow's History of Southington for on consulting the Farmington, Conn., Church Records, we find baptisms recorded of three more children born to Noah and Mary (Barnes) Woodruff, as follows: Roswell, baptized June 12, 1768. Ichabod and Castina, probably twins, baptized June 27, 1775. Unfortunately these Church Records, are not complete. Every little while there is a page missing, hence, among others, the pages containing baptisms between January 27, 1770 and March 27, 17 74, are lost and this is the very period in which we should find the baptism of David Woodruff, son of Noah, who was born May 26, 1770. Further than this, says Fred'k 0. Woodruff (8), I know from my grandfather Hiram Woodruff (6), son of David (5) that Hiram's (6), grandfather was Noah Woodruff and that Noah had a son Roswell, who was my grandfather Hiram's uncle and with whom he was on terms. There is no denying the facts of this record of Noah Woodruff, as it is Family History. The misstatement in Timlow's History of Southington, Conn., was taken up with the Timlow Family in 1920 for correction, but they stated that Timlow's History of Southington was out of print and the plates destroyed.

MATTHEW WOODRUFF (1) and wife Hannah, came from Hartford to Farmington in 1640-1. He was one of the eighteen proprietors of the Town of Farmington in 1672, having been admitted as a freeman in 1657. (History of Southington, Conn., Page CCIVII). He died at very old age in 1682. He was a man of considerable wealth for those days. He joined the church March 1st, 1672. His will probated Dec. 13th, 1682, mentions his wife, Hannah, who was admitted to the church in Farmington, April 2, 1654, also his will mentions three sons and a daughter named Hannah, wife of Richard Seymour, 2nd, but the Probate Court supplies name of another daughter Elizabeth, wife of John Broughton of Northampton, Mass. Matthew and Hannah Woodruff had children as follows:
John, b. 1643; d. 1692. Matthew, b. 1646; d. Nov. 1691 at Farmington, Conn.; in. Mary Plumb at Milford, Conn., June 16, 1668. He married 2nd wife, Sarah North in 1686; she was b. Dec. 23, 1653; d. 1692. She was the daughter of John and Mary (Bird) North. Matthew lived in Milford, Conn., until death of his first wife, then returned to Farmington, Conn. He was a freeman 1671. Adm. of his estate granted Dec. 3, 1691. (See Hartford Court Probate Records.) Hannah, b. 1648; in. Richard Seymour. Elizabeth, b. 1651; in. in 1678 John Broughton of Northampton. Mary, b. Nov. 1654 (died young.) (2) Samuel, b. Farmington, Conn., Aug. 26. 1661; d. Jan. 8, 1742.
SAMUEL WOODRUFF (2) Matthew (1)
Married Feb. 1685, Rebekah, daughter of John and Rebecca (Marvin) Clark. She was born 1662, died Aug. 4, 1737. He remained in Farmington until the birth of his sixth child, when about 1698 he removed to the south part of the town which is now Southington, and was the first white settler there. His house stood on the north side of the second road leading cast towards the mountain, the then southeast corner of the north corner lot.
He is said to have been of great physical size and strength, of excellent disposition, and always on good terms with the Indian,,. His wife's tombstone in the north burying records her age as sixty--five, but this is no doubt a mistake and should read seventy-five. Samuel and Rebekah (Clark) Woodruff had children as follows: Samuel, b. Jan. 20, 1686; d. Feb. 1776. Held rank as Captain. m. July 10, 1718, Esther Bird, b. in Farmington, Feb. 28, 1696; d. June 1765.Jonathan. b. Nov.. 30 ~ 1688; d. April 29. 1712; m. July 10, 1711, Sarah Langdon, daughter of Joseph and Rosannah (Root) Langdon. Rebekah, b. Feb. 4, 1690; m. Nov. 18, 1714, Wm. Smith. Ruth C., b. Feb. 15, 1692; d. Nov. 14, 1713; m. Jan. 7, 1712, Nathaniel Porter. Ebenezer, b. Dec. 27, 1694; rn. Sarah, who died Feb. .5, 1744. Daniel, b. Nov. 2, 1696; in. Oct. 13, 1719, Lydia Smith. (3) David, b. Feb. 27, 1698-9; d. Jan. 14, 1767; m. Jan. 19, 1720, Mary Porter. Hezekiah, b. Aug. 9. 1701; m. Dec. 3, 1730, Sarah Macon. Rachel, b. Nov. 20, 1703; d. Oct. 20, 1768; m. Dec. 7, 1727, John Bell. Abigail, b. Feb. 26, 1705-6; d. Nov. 8, 1707. John, b. April 5, 1708; m. Aug. 11, 1729, Eunice Ward. Rede, b. 1710; d. Aug. 4, 1753. Lieut David Woodruff (3), Samuel (2), Matthew (1)-b. Feb. 27, 1698-9; d. Jan. 13, 1767. He was first white child born within the limits of the town of Southington. He married Jan. 18, 1720, Marv Porter, daughter of Samuel and Martha (Freeman) Porter. She died May 14, 1784. The records state he bought of John Fenn of Farmington Sept. 28, 1752, a dwelling house and 90 acres of land for 2.500, bounded north on John Kinkaid, Daniel Brounson and Hezekiah Woodruff; east on Highway; south on Hawkin- Hart. and west on Hezekiah Woodruff. He was appointed and confirmed Ensign, May 1742, of the Kensington Military Company and he was in 1743 appointed and confirmed Lieutenant of Southington Militia. (See History of Southington. Conn., page CCLXI and Savage Genealogical Dictionary, Page 643.) He was buried in the North Burying Ground, Southington. David and Mary (Porter) Woodruff had children as follows: Solomon, b. May 14, 1723; d. Dec. 31, 1736. Mary, b. March 21, 1725. David, b. 1726; d. June 10, 1783. (See New Haven Probate Records, Vol. 15, Page 95.) Mary, b. Nov. 12, 17 28; M. July 10, 1749, David Cogswell. (4) Noah, b. in Farmington, Conn., Jan. 15, 1731; d. Jan. 18, 1790; m. Dec. 5, 1752, Mary Barnes, daughter of Benj. And Hannah (Abbott) Barnes of Bradford, Conn. Rachael, b. March 22, 1732-3: m. Feb. 27, 1755, Eluathan Norton. Hezekiah, b. Feb. 20, 1734-5: d. Nov. 3, 1809. Hulda, baptized June 26, 1737; m. March 23, 1758, Hawkins Hart. Martha, baptized Nov. 4, 1739; m. March 12, 1767, Thos. Kinkaid. Marcy, baptized March 14. 1742-, m. 'March 14. 1768. James Root.
NOAH WOODRUFF (4), David (3), Samuel (2), Matthew (1) A soldier in the Revolutionary War. Was a private in Captain Asa Bray's Co., Col. Roger Enos Reg. (See Connecticut in the Revolution, Page 620.) He afterwards became Captain through the recommendation of Gen. Israel Putnam. (Capt. Woodruff's Co., July 29, 1779, Connecticut in the Revolution, Page 622), who was a friend of the family. Gen. Putnam presented him with a fine horse. I have heard my grandfather, Hiram Woodruff, tell this many times says Fred'k 0. Woodruff, resident of Lexington, Mass.. 1920; also see Vol. 1910, Mass. Sons of Am. Revolution.
Noah and Mary (Barnes) Woodruff had children as follows:
Hannah, b. Oct. 4. 1753; d. Sept. 16, 1757.
Solomon, b. Dec. 11, 1763.
Roswell. b. June 12, 1768 (Farmington Church Records).
(5) David, b. May 26, 1770; d. in Enfield, Conn., June 10, 1839 (where he is buried.)
Ichabod and Castina, baptized June 27, 1775. (See Farmington Church Records).
DAVID WOODRUFF (5), Noah (4), David (3), Samuel (2), Matthew (1)
Married May 1793, Eunice North, daughter of Seth North see North Genealogy). She was born in Farmington, Conn., Oct. 25, 1773, died in Wethersfield, Conn., Jan. 19, 1826.
David and Eunice (North) Woodruff had children as follows:
(6) Hiram, b. Berlin, Conn., April 13, 1796; d. 1872 at Westville, Conn., where he and his wife Lydia (Burk) are buried. They ,,,ere married in East Haddam, Conn., Oct. 31, 1821. Lydia b. Aug. 19,1794; d. Nov. 16,1874. She was daughter Of William Burk (see Life of William Burk, Boston Public Library).
David, b. Sept. 10, 1800; m. Emiline S. Allen. He died 1882 at Thompsonville, Conn.
Almina, b. Dec. 26, 1802; d. 1871; she married William Morrison of Thompsonville, Conn.
Eunice b. 1804; d. 1865; she married Benj. Green.
Mary b. I806; d. 1875; m. John W. Parkhurst; he died in Newton Centre, Mass.
Julia, b. Feb. 14, 1808; d. 1892; m. Dana Read; lived in Springfield, Mass.
Lucretta, b. 1812; d. 1891; m. 1831 Henry B. Wilcox of Madison.. Conn. He was born 1821, son of Abel and Anna (Field) Wilcox.
Hiram. Woodruff (6), David (5), Noah (4), David (3), Samuel (2), Matthew (1)
Hiram Woodruff was of the firm of Hazard and Woodruff, Iron Founders and Mfgs. of Hardware at Windsorlocks, Conn. Later in life he moved to Westville, Conn., where he was engaged in the same line of business, and where he died in 1872.
Hiram and Lydia (Burk) Woodruff had children as follows:
(7) William Braddock, b. 'Middletown, Conn., Aug. 14, 1822; d. Boston, Feb. 2, 1904; rn. Dec. 15, 1847, Julia Maria Abbe, daughter of Col. Robert M. Abbe (see Abbe Genealogy) at Enfield, Conn.
Harris, b. March 5, 1824; d. Nov. 23, 1899; m. May 1846, Harriet B. Griswold, b. July 18, 1827; d. Jan. 2, 1893. Their children were Alice Emma and Nellie; Nellie m. James B. Peet of Albany, N. Y., b. Oct. 14, 1894.
WILLIAM B. WOODRUFF (7), Hiram (6), David (5), Noah (4), David (3), Samuel(2), Matthew (1)
William B. Woodruff was educated in the public schools of Middletown, Conn., and Middletown Academy. At the age of nineteen he passed examinations and received his appointment to West Point Military Academy, but at the last moment for some unknown reason his parents strenuously objected to West Point and he was apprenticed for three years to his uncle, David Woodruff, stove and hardware manufacturer of Thompsonville, Conn. This was a life-long disappointment to him. He was with his uncle for several years. He was always interested in military life and was on March 1st, 1843, appointed Captain of 1st Company of the 19th Regiment of Infantry in the Militia of Conn. by Governor Chauncey F. Cleveland. About 1845 he moved to East Bridgewater, Mass., where he established himself in business in the same line. In 1858 he moved to Chelsea, Mass., where he engaged in several lines of business more or less successful until he entered the Fancy Goods business in Boston, organizing the "Boston Dollar Store," eventually establishing branch stores in several large cities-Springfield, Worcester, Albany and Troy. This business was most successful until the Treasurer of the Company took to speculating in the Stock Market with the Company's funds with the usual fatal results. This led to financial difficulties and final liquidation of the business, but Mr. Woodruff insisted that all debts be paid in full, which involved not only the sale of his home but consumed about all the cash at his command. He then opened a restaurant which ran for several years but this business was so distasteful to himself and his family that he sold out and in 1872 established himself as an Optician-Optometrist at No. 56 Bromfield Street, Boston, where he remained until January, 1902, when he retired at the acre of eighty years. He was a prince among men, loving, conscientious, thoughtful and indulgent to his family and a true and sincere friend.
William B. and Julia Maria (Abbe) Woodruff had children as follows:
Carrie B., b. E. Bridgewater, Mass. Aug. 25, 1849; d. Sept. 25, 1851.
Stella, C., b. E. Bridgewater, Mass., April 25, 1853; m. Whitman R. Morton of Boston, Nov. 25, 1878. She was Pres. of Harvard Woman Club; Regent of Faneuil Hall Chapter Daughters Am. Revolution. Their children were: Jesse W. Morton, b, Malden, 'Mass., Nov. 22, 1879; m. Marion Howes of Reading, Mass., Oct. 28, 1908. He graduated from Harvard in in class of 1902, Harvard Law School 1905, and was appointed to the judiciary by Governor Channing Cox in 1922; Fred W., b. Mav 22, 1882; d. Sept. 22, 1884.
(8) Frederick Orr, b. E. Bridgewater, Mass., June 2, 1856; m. Fannie Sturtevant, Feb. 18, 1880. She was born in Boston, June 4, 1858, graduated from Boston Public Schools and finished at Wheaton Seminary. She is an artist; a member of Woman Club and Daughters of Am. Revolution. (See Sturtevant Genealogy.)
Frank, b. June 2, 1856; d. Oct. 25, 1857.
Lillie, b. March 26, 1866, d. July 16, 1867.
Maude E.., b. Sept. 30. 1868 unmarried
FREDERICK 0. WOODRUFF (8). William B. (7), Hiram (6). David (5). Noah (4), David (3), Samuel (2), Matthew (1). m. Fannie Sturtevant, Feb. 18, 1880.
Frederick Orr Woodruff was educated in the public schools of Chelsea, Mass. and Wheelers Proparatorv School. After completing his studies at the age of nineteen years, he entered the employ of the old Publishing House of Ira Bradley & Co. on Cornhill, which concern was established the year Mr. Woodruff was born. In a few years he became a partner of the firm, the style of which was then changed to Bradley & Woodruff.
In 1891 having become largely interested in Real Estate, Mr. Woodruff sold out his interests in the book business to his partner in order to devote his entire attention to Real Estate. He became an acknowledged authority on Real Estate values in greater Boston. He organized large Real Estate trusts in Boston and New York, and the erection of many of the most modern business structures were due to his efforts.
He was the first President of the Massachusetts Real Estate Exchange, President Real Estate Co-Operative Bank, Char-ter M ember and Director in the Exchange Trust Co., member of several clubs in Boston and suburbs. He was a Mason, being a member of Simon W. Robinson Lodge, A. F. & A. M., of Lexington, Mass., St. John's Lodge of Boston, St. Andrew's Chapter, the Boston Commandery, and Aleppo Temple of the Mystic Shrine. A member of the Massachusetts Society of Colonial Wars, and the Society of the Sons of the American Revolution. He was one of the organizers and charter members of All Saints Episcopal Church of Brookline. Mass., and a member of its Vestry for a long period of years.
He was married February 18. 1880, to Fannie, daughter of William L. and Martha (Stevens) Sturtevant of the old Sturtevant family who in the early history of Boston owned a good share of Noddles Island, now East Boston. (See Sturtevant Genealogy).
In May, 1912, Mr. Woodruff and family made their home in Lexington, Mass.
Frederick 0. and Fannie (Sturtevant) Woodruff had children as follows:
(9) Lewis Sturtevant, b. Boston, Jan. 5, 1881; m. May 25, 1904, Mildred Hoyt, daughter of Chas. C. Hoyt of Greenfield, Mass., and New York. (See Hoyt Genealogy). He attended the public schools of Brookline, Stones Preparatory School and Williams College.
Lewis and Mildred (Hoyt) Woodruff had children as follows:
(10) Chamberlain Hoyt, b. Feb. 4, 1905.
(10) Lewis Sturtevant, Jr., b. Dec 27, 1908.
Lewis S. Woodruff (9) married second wife Adelia Johnson Gates (widow) June 28, 1916, at Lexington, Mass. Their children are: Martha Frances, b. in Arlington, Mass., May 26, 1917. Frederick Scott (Second.) b. in Arlington, Mass. August 6. 1918.
(9) Albert William, 1). Boston, April 2, 1882; m. Ellen Marshall Andrews of Cleveland, Ohio. May 20, 1907.
He married second wife June 22, 1915, -Marjorie M. Fhcy, b. Cleveland, 0., Oct. 10, 1886, daughter of Louis Henry and Elizabeth (Canavan.) Fhey.
(9,) Frederick Scott, b. Boston, 'May 8, 1887. He attended the public schools in Brookline and Volkman's Preparatory School in Boston, from Which he graduated in 1905, and entered the employ of Kidder, Peabody&- Co., Bankers, of Boston. At the outbreak of the World War, he volunteered in the U. S. Navy, and his record is as follows:
Basin Officer-Boston Section (C. P. 0.) May and part of June, 1917
Officers' Naval School- 1st Naval District June to October. 1917 Average 33--22d in Class
Instructor and Battalion Commander Naval Training Carnp-1st Naval District November 1911 to April 1918
Aid to Commandant-Boston Navy Yard May to June 1918
Assistant Navigator and Signal Officer U. S. S. St. Louis July to November 1918
Had three months sea service in Cruiser Force operating in War Zone and was recommended for Lieutenant (J. G.) and Class 2, U. S. Naval Reserve by CAPTAIN G. S. LINCOLN, U. S. N.
Division Officer and Instructor University of Pennsylvania November and December. 1918
Commanding U. S.-Submarine Chaser No. 429 Cape May

JOHN ABBE, settled in Salem, Mass. lie was entered as "Inhabitant" ye 2nd of 11 month 1636."
His wife, Mary Loring, died in Wenham, Mass., Sept. 9, 1662. He then married Mary widow of Robert Goldsmith, Nov. 25, 1674.
He was granted land most of which was situated in Enon, that part afterwards called Wenham, Mass. He joined the church a short time before his death in 1698 (as only church members could make wills) and he made over his property to his eldest son John in trust in which son John is to give life support to his father and father's wife and to pay certain legacies to his children, which are all named.
This will of, Deed of Trust in Salem, Mass., Probate Records was entered Aug. 3, 1683, and in the Deed of Trust he twice mentions his children. But for some reason his estate was settled by his youngest son Thomas, for the Essex County Probate Court Records show that letters of administration were granted to Thomas Abbe, son of John Abbe, senior, Dec. 12, 1702.
Their children were as follows:
John, lived in Wenham, Mass.
Samuel, settled in Windham, Conn.
Sarah Mercy, married Mr. Killam.
Rebeckah, married Richard Kimball.
Obadiah, settled in Enfield; married but no children.
(2) Thomas, b. 1656, Wareham, -Mass.; d. Enfield, Conn., May 17, 1728.
LIEUT. THOMAS (2), son of John (1), settled in Enfield, Conn,, in 1682. Married Dec. 16, 1683, Sarah, daughter of Walter and Sarah Fairfield of Marblehead, Mass. She was born in Reading. Mass. His will dated 1720 mentions his wife and children, two sons and two daughters. He was a soldier in King Phillips War and was wounded in the Great Swamp battle. He was lieutenant in Enfield Trained Band. Was a prominent citizen of the town. From him are descended all the Enfield Abbe's through his sons, Thomas and John (See "Soldiers. King Phillips War," Page 152.) Upon the organization of the army for expedition against Narraganset Fort. Major Samuel Appleton was appointed to the command of the Massachusetts forces, and on page 154 gives list of names of soldiers whom the Court in May 1676 voted to repay the losses of those who were "damnified" by the burning of Major Appleton's tent at Narragansett appears the name of Thomas Abbe, L3, 16S. Also on pages 156-7 refers to papers preserved in Massachusetts Archives, Vol. 68, Page 97, the roll of Major Samuel Appleton's Company in Narraganset Campaign, appears the name of Thomas Abbey Also see Savage's Genealogical Dictionary Page 6..
Lieut. Thomas and Sarah (Fairfield) Abbe had children as follows:
Sarah, b. 'March 31, 1684; rn. John Greer.
Thomas, b . Oct. 30, 1686: d. 1759
Mary. b. Feb. 3, 1689.
(3) John 1). Sept. 27, 1602; d. 1740.
Tibertha, b. March 29, 1696; m. Nov. 19, 1713, John Warner of Enfield, Conn. (Tibertha is mentioned in her father's will as Abigail
JOHN ABBE (3), born Sept. 27,1692, Thomas (2), John (1) was one of the first settlers of upper King St. Married Hannah, daughter of Daniel Boreman and wife (Hannah Wright) of Wetherfield, Conn. She was born Dec. IS, 1693. Daniel Boreman was son of Samuel Boreman and his wife (Mary Betts). Samuel was son of Christopher Boreman of Clayton, England and his wife (Julian Carter). This name undoubtedly should be Boardman.
Their children were as follows:
(4) John b. April 18, 1717, in Enfield; d. 1791, in his 78th year, in Enfield. (See his gravestone.)
Hannah, b. April 19, 1719.
Thomas, b. Dec. 18, 1721; d. Cape Britain, a soldier in 1745. Sarah 1). Jan. 23, 1723.
Daniel b. May 8, 17 26; d. Cape Britain, a soldier in 1745.
Martha. b. '\larch 1, 1728.
Mary. b. May 14, 1730.
Tibertha, b. March 9, 1732.
Richard b. Aug. 1. 1735; was soldier Revolutionary War.
JOHN ABBE (4), John (3), Thomas (2), John (1)
Married Feb. 11. 1739, Sarah. daughter of Captain Timothy Root and his wife, Sarah (Pease) of Somers, Conn. Sarah, John's wife died Nov. 23, 1771. He was a revolutionary soldier. His name is in list of men who marched from Connecticut towns to relief of Boston at the Lexington Alarm 1773. His record is as follows:
Third regiment, 2nd Company; Israel Putnam, Colonel; Experience Stoors, Captain. Was recruited in Windham County, April-May 1775.
.Marched in May to camps formed around Boston and was stationed during the siege in Putnam Centre Division at Cambridge until expiration of term of service, Dec. 10. 1775. In July the Company was adopted as "Continental." Was engaged at Bunker Hill as stated in "Connecticut in the Revolution." Page 53. His will is dated Feb. 2, 1789, probated Sept. 5, 1794. Also see Volume 1910 Mass. Society Sons of the American Revolution.
John and Sarah (Root) Abbe had children as follows
John, b. Nov. 27, 1739; d. in infancy.
Sarah, b. 1741; d. Feb. 29, 1772.
Obadiah, b. 1745.
Hannah, b. 1746; d. in infancy.
Timothy, b. Dec. 6, 1747; d. Nov. 15, 1771.
(5) Daniel, b. Nov. 7, 1749, in Enfield, Conn.: d. Sept. 26, 1815.
Roxeland, b. 1751: m. Simeon Olmstead.
DANIEL ABBE (5), John (4), John (3), Thomas (2), John
Married Sarah Pease, Nov. 3, 1774. She was born Dec. 2, 1756, in Enfield; died Nov. 20, 1808. (Daughter of Aaron Pease; Aaron Pease married Anna Geer in 1751; Anna Geer born 1726, died 1764.)
Their children were as follows:
(6) Daniel, b. Aug. 22, 1775, in Enfield, Conn.; d. Aug. 25, 1833.
Levi, m. Dorcus Walcott (daughter of Henry).
Sally, m. Luther Allen.
George, m. Mary Clark.
Harris. m. Clarissa Wiggin.
Erastus. d. April 21, 1816: m. Sally Beebe.
DANIEL ABBE (6). Daniel (5), John (4), John (3), Thomas (2). John (1)
Married. March 19, 1795, Betsy Morrison. She was born June 10, 1771; died April 18, 1842. She was daughter of John Morrison of Enfield, Conn., and his wife Elizabeth.
Their children were as follows:
(7) Robert M., b. July 15, 1797; d. Feb. 27, 1883, at Le Roy N. Y.; m. March 23, 1822, Marla Norcott, daughter of Abner Norcott. She was born Jan. 31, 1800, died June 23, 1857.
Henry A., b. March 24, 1799; m. Nov. 28 1820, Betsy Allen, daughter of George.
Stoddard N., b. Feb. 1801.
Betsy A.. b. June 17, 1804; m. H. S. Belcher, son of Benjamin.
Sally Ann, b. April 12, 1806; M. Jos. Converse, son of Eli.
Daniel P.. b. Aug. 22. 1809; d. Feb. 27, 1883 m. Elizabeth Morrison daughter of Robert.
COL. ROBERT M. ABBE (7), Daniel (6), Daniel (5), John (4), John (3), Thomas (2), John (1) was Colonel in the Conn. Militia
Robert and Maria (Norcott) Abbe had children as follows:
Caroline E., b. Jan. 4, 1823; d. Oct. 16. 1898; m. Richard M. Brown, June 9, 1842
Daniel N., b.. Feb. 10, 1825; d. May 10, 1891: a. Dec. 11, 1853, Abby Spear, b. 'May 12, 1831 d. Aug. 5 1900.
(8) Julia Maria, b. Enfield Conn., Aug. 12, 1827; d. April 5, 1915 at Reading, Mass.; m. William B. Woodruff, Enfield, Conn. Dec. 15, 1847. (See Woodruff Genealogy).
Horatio S., b. Nov. 19, 1829; d. May 12, 1835.
Adeline E., b. March 3, 1831 d. April 22, 1835.
Sarah J., b. 'March 27. 1833; d. Oct. 20, 1858 m, Wm. H. Osgood July 15 1853
Adeline E., b. March 17, 1836; d. April 10, 1840.
Robert, b. July 1, 1839; d. Feb. 16. 1840.
Betsy b. Dec. 8, 1840; m. Geo. N. Seymour
Robert M. (7) married his second wife, Mary M. S. Meade, Feb. 14, 1860 They had Mary Maria horn Oct. 3, 1864.
JULIA MARIA ABBE (8). Robert (7), Daniel (6), Daniel (5), John (4), John (3), Thomas (2), John (11) married Wm. B. Woodruff, Dec. 15, 1847.
They had children as follows: (See Woodruff Genealogy)
Carrie Woodruff, b. Aug. 25, 1849; d. Sept. 25, 1851.
Stella C., b. April 25, 1853: m. Whitman R. Morton of Boston, Nov. 25, 1878. Their children were Jesse W. Morton, b. Nov. 22, 1819: Fred W., b. May 22, 1882, d. Sept. 22, 1884. See Woodruff Genealogy
Frank Woodruff, b. June 2, 1856; d. Oct. 25. 1857.
(9) Frederick Orr, b. June 2, 1856; in. Fannie Sturtevant, Feb. 18,1880. (See Sturtevant Genealogy.)
Lillie Woodruff, b. March 26, 1866; d. July 16, 1867.
Maude Emma Woodruff. b. Sept. 30, 1868; unmarried.
FREDERICK 0. WOODRUFF (9). Julia (8), Robert (7), Daniel (6), Daniel (5), John (4), John (3), Thomas (2), John (1) Frederick 0. and Fannie (.Sturtevant) Woodruff had children as follows:
Lewis Sturtevant, b. Boston, Jan. 5, 1881. (See Woodruff Genealogy).
Albert William. b. Boston. April 2, 1882. (See Woodruff Genealogy).
Fred'k Scott, b. Boston, May 8, 1.987. (See Woodruff Genealogy).

William Burke (see his life in Boston Public Library) born ill Galway, Ireland, in 1752. Arrived in Boston soon after the Battle of Bunker Hill. Died in Millington, Conn., in 1836, where a stone marks his grave.
Married Lucetta Maynard April 15, 1780, at New London, Conn., by Rev. ' \Jr. Jewett Lucell, Lucetta died Oct. 10, 1818.
He married a second wife, Olive Arnold, May 27, 1821, who is mentioned in his will June 14, 1836.
William and Lucetta (Maynard) Burke had children as follows:
William b. Aug. 23, 1782; d. June 19, 1862.
Mary, b. July 5, 1784; d. Gleasonbury.
Sarah, b. July 8, 1787; d. in infancy.
Thomas, b. Jan. 28, 1790: d. May 25, 1842.
Joseph C., b. Nov. 11, 1791; d. Jan. 12, 1869; m. Jane E. Whiting, New Haven, Conn., 1818. Their only child was John Whiting Burke, born in New Haven, June 27, 1821. In 1842 he received degree of M. A. and in 1843 degree of M. D. from Yale University. In 1844 he married Ann Parish Benjamin, who died in 1863.(2) Lydia, b. Aug. 19, 1794; d. Nov. 16, 1874; m. Hiram Woodruff, Oct. 31, 1821. (See Woodruff Genealogy). Lyman, b. April 5, 1796, d. Sept. 28, 1858.
Edward G., b. July 31, 1798; d. 1880. Buried Rock Landing, Haddam Conn. Married Miss Holmes of Glastonbury, Conn.
Lucinthia, b. March 26, 1800; d. April 10, 1887; m. Eliphalet Smith, Sept. 25, 1828, at Haddam, Conn. Eliphalet died 1836,


Given Name: Mary
Surname: Woodruff
Sex: F
Christening: 5 Nov 1654 Farmington (Hartford) CT
Death: Y
Change Date: 28 Aug 2001 at 07:35
Note: (Medical):Died young


Father: John Plumb
Mother: Dorothy Wood

Sylvester BALDWIN

Sarah Baldwin
Richard Baldwin
Mary Baldwin
Mary Baldwin
Martha Baldwin
Samuel Baldwin
Elizabeth Baldwin
John Baldwin


Father: Thomas Bryan
Mother: Frances Bowling

second marriage to Captain John Astwood


Margarett WOODRUFF
Elizabeth WOODRUFF
Meldrid WOODRUFF b: 24 Mar 1605 in All Saints, Cambridge (Cambridgeshire) ENG
Ann HANNAH (? - not sure what this is, name is cap, which would indicate surname)
Matthew WOODRUFF b: 28 Jul 1616 in (Essex) ENG
Grace Woodruff
Edward Woodruff
Margaret Woodruff
Elizabeth Woodruff
Annis Woodruff
Dorothy Woodruff
Jone Woodruff
Mildred Woodruff
Ann Woodruff
George Woodruff b: 8 JAN 1608 in All Saints,Cambridge,Cambridge,England
John Woodruff
Grace Woodruff
Matthew Woodruff

additional children listed in this source are: Annis, Grace.  Grace appears to have been entered twice.
Some spellings differ. Jone or Joone is female.

Margaret SANDERS

Probably related to Anne Sanders.