Jeremiah R. GOODSON
Jeremiah died on 1 Dec 1862 in Company Shops, on his way home from a furlough. He was Military - Co. H 52 Reg't CSA.
Benjamin T. , Sr TAYLOR
William C. TAYLOR , Sr. b: ABT. 1730 in Surry County, VA
Benjamin T. TAYLOR , Jr. b: ABT. 1740 in VA
John TAYLOR b: ABT. 1658 in Surry County, VA
Thomas TAYLOR , Jr.
From Melton Online Tree:
Thomas stated on an affidavit in 1672 that he was 35 years old.
On May 2, 1666, Thomas purchased Martin's Plantation from Robert Laine (source: Surry County Deeds).
After Thomas Taylor died, Margaret married William Harris.
Margaret died sometime between June 7, 1721 and September 20, 1721, when her will was probated. She mentioned in her will that she owned property in both Virginia and England. She was still living on Lawnes Creek at the time of her death. This area, located on Pagan Shore, was at one time the northern boundary of Isle of Wright County and appears to later have become part of Surry County, VA.
Following from Melton Online Tree:
Origin of the name Taylor was in Scotland.
Spelling variations include: Taylor, Taylour, Taylur, Tailler, Taillefer, Tellier and many more.
First found in Selkirk in 1292, and Brice le Taillor was a Scottish Commander who was taken prisoner by the English in Dunbar Castle in 1296.
Event for John Taylor: Estate 6 SEP 1687 Administered by his brother William, Book 4, pg 8, Surry County, VA
Note: John Taylor is assumed to be the immigrant of the Taylor family. On November 22, 1637, John Taylor received 50 acres for his own personal advantage being an island running up Pagan Shore opposite land of Arthur Smith. John had two brothers (Thomas and William) who also settled in Isle of Wright. John Taylor was born sometime prior to 1616 since he had to have been at least 21 years of age when he was granted a patent for the land in 1637.
From the book "A Brief History of the Isle of Wright County, Virginia" by Colonel E. M. Morrison is written:
In the early spring of 1608, Captain John Smith, driven by the necessity of obtaining food for the famishing colonists at Jamestown, crossed the James River and obtained from a tribe of Indians called Warrosquoyackes fourteen bushels of corn. This transaction was the dawn of the history of Isle of Wright County, as well almost, as that of America. Again, in December of this same year, Captain Smith, while on his way to visit Powhatan, who was then on the York River, spent his first night with this same tribe of Indians. Captain Smith records that the king of this tribe furnished him with two guides with whom he sent a valiant soldier named Sicklemore to explore the country around Roanoke Island for traces of the "lost colony" of Sir Walter Raleigh with no successful result.
The first English settlement in the Isle of Wright County was made by Captain Christopher Lawne and Sir Richard Worsley, Knight Baronet, and their associates. On April 27, 1619, they arrived at Jamestown with one hundred settlers, in a ship commanded by Captain Evans. They immediately settled near the mouth of a creek on the south side of the James River, still known as Lawne's Creek (sometimes improperly written Lyon's Creek) which was, in 1642 made the dividing line between the Isle of Wright County and Surry County.
The settlement, sponsored by The London Company, was first known as Lawne's Plantations and was not a prosperous one. Captain Lawne and four-fifths of those who came with him were dead within one year. On November 30, 1620, the London Company declared "that the plantation was to be henceforth called Isle of Wright Plantation". This name was given it, very probably, because the famous "Isle of Wright" off the coast of England had been the home of some of the principal patentees. The 1623/24 census indicated that many died from disease but many more were massacred by Indians. Fifty-three were still living in Isle of Wright County at that time. By 1626, land grants were given for the importation of emigrants - 50 acres per emigrant - the names of the "head-rights" were given in the patents." In the year 1634, the colony was divided into eight shires or counties, one of which was named Warrosquoyackes, later changed to Isle of Wright.
From Melton Online Tree:
Note: After the death of her husband John, Sarah married Thomas Bentley, Jr. prior to John's estate being administered. Neither she nor her children were named in the estate settlement.